While some of us are looking to live life to the fullest, others are restlessly striving to succeed at work, while missing out on life. Being a workaholic is a badge of honor these days.
While ambition is a beautiful thing, and it enriches the soul, being obsessed about it can be dangerous sometimes. Ambition can suck away our time and energy to a point where exhaustion takes over our body and soul.
Does being a successful business entrepreneur or earning a high income salary make you a better person? Not necessarily. What makes you a better person is, simply, love. Love is what makes our life a happy one.
Time flies! No one wants to wake up one day blaming himself for not “living”. Do you really want your work to take over the precious moments that you could have lived with your kids?
Going into a work coma can be life threatening and destructive. It usually happens so slowly that you don’t even notice it.
Here are the red flags you should look out for in order to avoid going into a work coma:
- Working day and night with an outcome that is not as satisfying as expected highlights the imbalance. The drastic difference between how much effort your are putting into your work and the outcome are a sign that your productivity is at stake. One should be working efficiently and effectively.
- Insomnia: If you go to bed at 10 pm but can’t sleep before 1 am for many consecutive nights, this is a sign that you are carrying too much on your plate. It’s a dangerous, self-fulfilling cycle too; if you can’t get to sleep because your mind is too active, you’ll be even more tired the following day.
- You missed out on your best friend’s engagement party and your niece’s 1st birthday? Have you been hearing from your family and friends that you’re never around? Well, this is a clear indication that you’re neglecting your relationships. Yup, this is a sign that work is taking over your social life.
- Where did this additional weight come from? How did I lose so much weight? When you ask yourself one of these questions, try to remember when the last time you had a real breakfast was, or when the last time you had a proper lunch break was. Don’t forget that a happy body leads to a happy mind.
- Headache, stomach pain, and blurry eyes! If you start experiencing one or all of these symptoms at work and they are affecting your focus, then stress and fatigue have taken over your body, your work, and hence your life.
- Do you wake up in the morning thinking of how unlucky you are with your job? If so, you’re not working with love, which is the generator of positivity and success. You’d better change your attitude, or start searching for another, more convenient job for you!
All those quotes and sayings we hear about life are not cliché; they are a result of decades of life experience.
Two of my favorite ones:
“In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years.” Abraham Lincoln
“Live every moment as if it were your last”.
Layal Harfouche Business Developer