If you’re an animator, editor or someone who grew to hate life, then you’ve probably had to deal with a minimum of one hour of render time.
Yes, it starts out as “Est. Remain: 9 minutes” and that lovely little 9 just stays there. For 7 hours.
That’s 46. 7 times 9 minutes. (I used a calculator for that joke).
So without further ado, here’s a list of 10 things to do while waiting for your file to render.
1. Make yourself some tea or coffee. By that i mean, make sure you have enough fluids to make you go to the bathroom about 68.5 times (that half time was false alarm.)
2. Make an origami brachiosaur. If you didn’t understand what either of the last two words meant, you can go ahead and skip this point. If you happily cracked your knuckles, don’t do that. It’s bad for your joints. But here are the steps to do the origami
3. Sing your favorite song backwards. Disclaimer: If it is “OOps I did it again”, I heard it summons demons. So just make sure you know what you’re getting into. (Pretty sure she’s saying ouh yeah shakalakalaka).
4. Knit a sweater.
5. Post-its. Draw eyes. Nap. No one will suspect anything.
6. Turn off the lights but keep a flashlight in hand; close the blinds and make shapes with your hands (it’s called shadowgraphy, you’re welcome). Be the bunny. Hop away.
7. Start growing a beard. If you’re not a man, it’s fine. You have time to grow one too.
8. Try to remember the color of grass (hint: usually found in nature. Outside.).
9. If time just seems to not be passing at all, you might as well just go to your happy place.
That’s right. You’re on a tropical island, sipping a martini with your pet Chihuahua, Pablito.
10. You can always write a blog article.
Vickie Boschiero Junior Animation Art Director